Monday, June 25, 2012

Week 1

Display at the Carrollton branch

Hello everyone, the Summer Reading Program has begun! Be sure to check out the great programs for the whole family. Register at your local branch and get reading! Fill out an entry slip for every book you read during the program at the branch, or post a comment to the week's post here on the blog, or on the weekly post on Facebook. Book comments on the blog or Facebook will receive 2 entries per book.

To get started this week, can we talk about the number of book to movie adaptations that are occurring? It seems that more than ever Hollywood is adapting books to movies due to present reader-followings. EarlyWord posted a list of upcoming young adult titles coming out in 2013 - particularly popular is the first of the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare, The Host by Stephanie Meyer of Twilight fame (and Breaking Dawn, pt. 2 is due out in November), and the long-awaited adaptation of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

But 2013 is way out - and there are plenty of other film adaptations coming out before the end of the year. The Great Gatsby and The Perks of Being a Wallflower have generated plenty of buzz but, in addition, Life of Pi by Yann Martel and Tolstoy's Anna Karenina (with Keira Knightly and Jude Law) are due out this fall, too! The Vernon Area Library has a great Pinterest board with links to a few trailers of upcoming adaptations.

Is Hollywood really doing more book to film adaptations, or is the Internet better at finding and bringing it to attention? Whatever the case, we've obviously got some great movies coming up and you should get reading (or re-reading) some of these titles in preparation!

7 comments:

  1. Haley Hanson Carrollton BranchJune 26, 2012 at 10:41 PM

    I just finished Catching Fire and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. Thoroughly enjoyed the entire Hunger Game series. Can't wait to see the correlations between the books and the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed The Hunger Games trilogy! I felt the movie did a pretty good representation of the first book.
      If you're interested in reading more books that are similar, check out this list of read-a-likes; http://bit.ly/xG0H69.

      Delete
  2. CARROLLTON BRANCH. JUST FINISHED READING 'THE GIRL NEXT DOOR' BY BRAD PARKS. PRETTY GOOD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished two amazing books that I truly LOVED LOVED LOVED:

    1. The Blessing-Gary Smalley & John Trent

    This book has helped provide a variety of ways and ideas for me to give "the blessing" not only to my children but my husband and the other various roles I play. It also helps you through some childhood issues if you never received the blessing from your own parents (basically thousands of dollars worth of counseling for free within this book, lol). So great I bought a few copies for friends and family!

    2. Cat and Dog Theology-Living Passionately for the Glory of God: Bob Sjogren

    This book challenged me on every level to dig deeper and recognize a few things in myself that needed addressing...it was beautifully encouraging and inspiring, and I walked away from this book knowing I would be re-reading it within a few months because it was so "meaty". I did a book study on this with my sister and law and it helped me to get even more from the book talking about it as we went along....a MUST read and a book I have bought for so many people it's not even funny! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I accidentally posted on a Sunday so I apologize but felt I may need to re-post according to weekly entry rules!

    I just finished two amazing books that I truly LOVED LOVED LOVED:

    1. The Blessing-Gary Smalley & John Trent

    This book has helped provide a variety of ways and ideas for me to give "the blessing" not only to my children but my husband and the other various roles I play. It also helps you through some childhood issues if you never received the blessing from your own parents (basically thousands of dollars worth of counseling for free within this book, lol). So great I bought a few copies for friends and family!

    2. Cat and Dog Theology-Living Passionately for the Glory of God: Bob Sjogren

    This book challenged me on every level to dig deeper and recognize a few things in myself that needed addressing...it was beautifully encouraging and inspiring, and I walked away from this book knowing I would be re-reading it within a few months because it was so "meaty". I did a book study on this with my sister and law and it helped me to get even more from the book talking about it as we went along....a MUST read and a book I have bought for so many people it's not even funny! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amber, the drawings will run Monday through Sunday online. The new week's post will be up around 9am on Mondays. So you were fine with your first post.

      Have fun reading!

      Delete
  5. TRINA PARKER CARROLLTON BRANCHJuly 3, 2012 at 11:13 AM

    OATH OF OFFICE BY MICHAEL PALMER IS A GREAT READ.

    ReplyDelete